About the choice of QT and VS

shaozhonghua2007
    I am a beginner of Opticks. I have downloaded your windows version of Opticks. When I study the source code, I'm confusing about its framework. My questions are listed below:
    Opticks uses the Qt library as its UI framework, but the release version is under Visual Studio. I'm interested in the way of development. I suppose there're two ways you did it.First, you designed UI in QT Designer, added .ui file to the VS project, and wrote most of your code in Visual Studio. Second, you wrote all of your code in QT Creator and compiled it under VS when you wanted to release the project. Which way did you choose? Why did you choose it? Why didn't you develop Opticks with QT Creator directly? Because VS is more popular with people? Or because VS has some characteristics that QT Creator doesn't have?

Looking forward to your answers!
Thanks,
Shaozhonghua

Re: About the choice of QT and VS

dadkins
Administrator

I believe that the main source of confusion here is the difference between Qt and Visual Studio.

Primarily:

   Qt is a framework -- meaning that it provides source code for others to use.

   Visual Studio is an IDE -- meaning that it provides a development environment.

There are some areas of overlap (e.g.: VS provides an implementation of STL, and Qt provides GUI code generation via Creator).

In general, we typically write Qt code using plain, old C++ and not with Qt Creator.

But of course there are some exceptions, and we have some .ui files from Creator.

It mostly boils down to personal preference.

Either way will work fine. J

--Dustan

Re: About the choice of QT and VS

Most of the GUIs are hand coded and don’t use Designer (although there are a few dialogs created with designer). The project was started 10 years ago and Creator did not exist.

----------------------

Trevor R.H. Clarke

Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

(937)320-7087

Re: About the choice of QT and VS

shaozhonghua2007
Thank you for your answer, Dustan! Your answer helped me understand my own problem.
I think the problem origins from planning to add my own algorithm plugin to Opticks. Since I'm not familiar with QT library, I'm wondering how you integrate GUI code and other code. I think it's more convenient to write all of your code under QT Creator. So, I don't understand why most of your code is under VS. As Trevor R.H. Clarke explained, Opticks was built in the age without QT Creator. Then I understand your way of development.
Do you have any plan of moving your code to QT Creator and release the project under QT Creator?

Thank you a lot!
Shaozhonghua

At 2013-07-22 19:50:56,"Adkins, Dustan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I believe that the main source of confusion here is the difference between Qt and Visual Studio.

Primarily:

   Qt is a framework -- meaning that it provides source code for others to use.

   Visual Studio is an IDE -- meaning that it provides a development environment.

There are some areas of overlap (e.g.: VS provides an implementation of STL, and Qt provides GUI code generation via Creator).

In general, we typically write Qt code using plain, old C++ and not with Qt Creator.

But of course there are some exceptions, and we have some .ui files from Creator.

It mostly boils down to personal preference.

Either way will work fine. J

--Dustan

Re: About the choice of QT and VS

However, there is a branch which uses cmake to build and cmake can generate creator build files. The branch is OPTICKS-1177