Confused by versioning system

deb

Confused by versioning system

deb
Hi,

I was looking for shortcuts to use OpenCV under Python and trace some contours, when I read an article about Opticks and OpenCV extension. I never heard about Opticks before, and after browsing some pages it looked interesting to me and I downloaded current 4.10 Win32 version.

Now I needed extensions.

1. Python 2.7 was released in 2010, but Opticks Python extension requires Python 2.6. I would have to employ something like virtualenv and rebuild my Python 2.7 packages for Python 2.6? - I'll think about it

2. If I confirm step 1, I have to downgrade Opticks two version back to be able to use OpenCV extension?

3. Browsing extensions I noticed SAR processing tools as interesting extension, which requires much older Opticks version - 4.3

Is there some way around this version dependencies that may not be obvious to new user?

Thanks

Re: Confused by versioning system

The OpenCV extension is somewhat unnecessary these days since the OpenCV
DLLs are used in parts of Opticks. You still need the .py files but
those are in the Opticks Dependencies. You can checkout
https://opticks.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opticks/releases/4.10.0/trun
k/Dependencies/ then run: dependencies.bat -Dmodule=opencv -Drev=1.0.1
win32   (or use win64 if you are using 64-bit opticks and python).
You'll see a Python2.6-site-packages in the 32 (or 64) directory. Add
that to your PYTHONPATH or install it into Python and you should be able
to access OpenCV from opticks python.

The binary builds we supply are mainly driven by the needs of our paying
customers (who fund the testing, etc. that goes into an official binary
build) and they have not been interested in a Python 2.7 build which is
why it's currently on 2.6 and 2.5. It should be fairly easy to build a
2.7 version as this should not require real source code changes, just
some changes to the Python extension's build system (to change the
version number and point it to the 2.7 library). If you're interested we
can provide some more information on building this.

The SAR extension isn't maintained by the core Opticks team, it was
built by a user which is why it has fallen behind the current version. I
haven't looked at the code in a while so I don't know if it would
require source code changes to work with Opticks 4.10.0 but could be
rebuilt for the latest release.

deb

Re: Confused by versioning system

deb
Hi Trevor,

thanks for your reply, and assistance.

I checked 4.10 trunk and run batch script with win32 switch, which downloaded many dependencies.
I did this as I meet basic requirements, having VS2010, Python and Java, already.

Now I see "C:\src\svn\opticks\trunk\4.10.X\Dependencies\32\Python2.6-site-packages" folder with cv 2.2 library inside, build with Python 2.6 obviously. I have cv 2.4 library in my Python 2.7 packages. Can you tell me what do I need to change further before trying to compile?

Thanks

Trevor Clarke wrote:

>The OpenCV extension is somewhat unnecessary these days since the OpenCV
>DLLs are used in parts of Opticks. You still need the .py files but
>those are in the Opticks Dependencies. You can checkout
>https://opticks.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opticks/releases/4.10.0/trun
>k/Dependencies/ then run: dependencies.bat -Dmodule=opencv -Drev=1.0.1
>win32   (or use win64 if you are using 64-bit opticks and python).
>You'll see a Python2.6-site-packages in the 32 (or 64) directory. Add
>that to your PYTHONPATH or install it into Python and you should be able
>to access OpenCV from opticks python.
>
>The binary builds we supply are mainly driven by the needs of our paying
>customers (who fund the testing, etc. that goes into an official binary
>build) and they have not been interested in a Python 2.7 build which is
>why it's currently on 2.6 and 2.5. It should be fairly easy to build a
>2.7 version as this should not require real source code changes, just
>some changes to the Python extension's build system (to change the
>version number and point it to the 2.7 library). If you're interested we
>can provide some more information on building this.
>
>The SAR extension isn't maintained by the core Opticks team, it was
>built by a user which is why it has fallen behind the current version. I
>haven't looked at the code in a while so I don't know if it would
>require source code changes to work with Opticks 4.10.0 but could be
>rebuilt for the latest release.

Re: Confused by versioning system

Changing to opencv 2.4 will require a rebuild of Opticks as well as the
python extension since other Opticks plug-ins are using 2.2 (you can't
have both versions of the dll loaded at once). The easiest thing to do
would be to use 2.2...if the Python2.6-site-packages is first in your
PYTHONPATH then it should override the 2.4 install.

To rebuild the Python plug-in for 2.7, you'll need to create a new
vcxproj from the existing 2.6 proj. I had a little time yesterday and I
think I have something that will work..I'm attaching a subversion patch
file. Apply this to the Python extension's source code.

Next, you'll need to Opticks 4.10.0 SDK (available for download from the
opticks site). Run the retrieve-dependencies.bat in the Python's
Dependencies folder. In the 32 or 64 directory (depending on the version
you are building, 32-bit or 64-bit) add the following:
include/python27    the contents of c:\Python27\include (or your install
location)
lib/python27.lib    again, from your python install

You can now run the build-Python.py script...something like this:
build-python.py -d /path/to/opticks/python/Dependencies --arch=32
--mode=release --python-version=27
--opticks-code-dir=/path/to/opticks/sdk/Code

This should create a Python 2.7 plug-in in
Code/Build/Binaries-Win32-Release/PlugIns

opticks_python_27.patch (42K) Download Attachment
deb

Re: Confused by versioning system

deb
Thanks Trevor for your suggestion and patches

I managed to build the plugin and here is a link to 32 bit python 2.7 extension, to save from same trouble other interested users: http://db.tt/LSOLz65O
Python build script didn't get me there for some reason, but setting the project from VS on trial and error
Works fine here

Cheers

Re: Confused by versioning system

Great! Thanks for the contribution. I'll put a link to it on the Opticks
web page for those interested.