ECCN classification

Daniel Ritz

Hi,

Trevor, I was given the link to http://www.slideshare.net/retrev/opticks-releasing-a-government-tool-to-the-open-source-community

In the slide deck you mentioned that the product may be classified as a defense article.

Other comments you have, say it was decided it was non-ITAR.

Do you have the ECCN# determined?

Thank you,

Dan

Re: ECCN classification

amedeo602@hotmail.com
Dan,

Per this link I believe no ECCN is required, however IANAL so please advise if you believe this is inaccurate: http://opticks.org/irclogs/%23opticks/%23opticks.2012-11-27-Tue.txt

Thanks,
Dustan

Re: ECCN classification

Agreed…our policy on this is that for most of the opticks work, we discuss the details with our company’s ITAR empowered official who makes a determination if it’s applicable or not. Typically, citation of algorithms or similar work in books, academic papers, and other released software are used to determine if it’s a safe release. Our initial release got explicit approval from our direct customers but our ITAR folks had decided explicit state department  via an ECCN was not needed since the work wasn’t actually a covered item. It’s sometimes tricky because Opticks doesn’t fall under the explicit ITAR categories but the “catch all” one that says any other work performed under contract with the government may be ITAR restricted. In that case, it’s obviously up to each company as to how risk averse they are but with Opticks, the functionality has been pretty clearly available in a number of existing papers, tools, etc.

Hope this helps.

----------------------

Trevor R.H. Clarke

Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

(937)320-7087

Re: ECCN classification

Daniel Ritz
Quite helpful. Slight correction, that while a export license is not required (it is not ITAR), ‎ there is still an ECCN. The ECCN would reflect the low classification you mention. Did your official determine if the ECCN is EAR99‎?

LlM

Dan

908-342-3613 (cell)

Re: ECCN classification

I checked with or lawyers and empowered official and neither State nor Commerce were directly involved in the initial open sourcing of opticks. Government approval was through DoD Office of Security Review. Our legal folks along with DoD determined that is was not necessary to explicitly involve Dept. of State. Any further ECCN related discussion or decisions were not communicated to the development team so I don’t have additional information I can offer at this point.