Image Processing within Nearly Real Time Constraint

Image Processing within Nearly Real Time Constraint

Mustafa Kemal Pekturk

Hello All,

First of all, I am Mustafa Kemal Pektürk. I work as a software engineer at defence industry in Turkey. We need to decide technology for our image processing Project. We will get image from a hyperspectral camera as an input and our system decide whether any suspicious material or not as an output. System can work online and warn user, so our system must work in nearly real time. At this point, I want to ask why you selected C++ for Opticks, what you have as constraints if any, what about it’s performance and what you suggest for Image Processing within nearly real time constraint .   We really  want to listen your experiences and suggestions. We hope that we can make a decision about selecting C++ or Java in the light of your selection history.

Best Regards,

Mustafa Kemal PEKTÜRK

Re: Image Processing within Nearly Real Time Constraint

The tool was first written about 15 years ago. At the time, Java was not very performant and had no real native memory (JNI, etc.) capability. C++ was chosen primarily for speed and memory allocation control. If I were to begin the project today, the choice would likely be Python with numpy and C/C++ modules for time critical pieces.

Trevor R.H. Clarke

Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

(937)320-7087