Introduction to the Opticks community

Gaurav Parida
Hello,

I am Gaurav Parida, 3rd year undergraduate research student from IIIT Hyderabad. I am currently working at Lab for Spatial Informatics under Dr K. S. Rajan. Last year, I participated in Gsoc'14 with Sugarlabs and worked on writing unit and UI tests for SugarOS.

As, I am a research student here, my current field of research is focused on working with lidar/point cloud data. I browsed the projects of previous years Gsoc'14 and found them mostly related to the line of my work. I would be glad if I could chip in and contribute towards the Opticks community. I hope my contribution will not only help the FOSS community, it would also help me get further insight at my research topic.

After browsing the documentation, I have got a very basic doubt, which is the preferred environment for development of Opticks. The Downloads page states that Linux versions have limited support. So, should I start to clone the opticks repo in Windows or Linux? I am comfortable with python and C++ for development. Any links for reading more about the code structure and the software will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards,
Gaurav Parida
(IRC nick : gp94)

Re: Introduction to the Opticks community

Our main development platform is windows but we do work on linux. Our independent release testers typically do not perform acceptance and regression testing on Linux which is why it’s not listed as officially supported but there are many users so it’s certainly ok to develop on either platform. The website has a couple of wiki spaces on development of Opticks extensions and modifying the core code itself. Also look at the existing extensions, especially the Spectral tools for examples on extending the tool.

Trevor R.H. Clarke

Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

(937)320-7087