Landsat 8 Spectral Band Import

Calvin Jones
To All,

I recently found Opticks and I am very interested in the software's application of spectral analysis for the detection of surficial vegetative and mineralogical indicators of hydrocarbon microseepage.

Jumping into Opticks without any formal RS instruction, I downloaded a recent Landsat 8 image and proceeded to import data files to Opticks however each individual band is displayed separately.  I was hoping to have a RGB image where I could explore further, the spectral, PCA & etc. capabilities of Opticks.  I guess my question is how to import multiple bands for single display?

Having stumbled on a task such as this and my lack of RS exploitation experience, could an Extension or a very detailed Tutorial be developed to assist me in using Opticks in exploring for potential areas of Oil & Gas Reserves?

I look forward to your reply and advice - Thanks!

Re: Landsat 8 Spectral Band Import

The short answer is that we don’t support Landsat8 OLI yet. It should not be a large undertaking to add support for the newer sensor since the MTL format is similar to ETM/TM. For the time being you have a couple of work arounds.

Convert the data to raw files and import as multi-file BSQ. Instructions are here: http://opticks.org/confluence/x/IoBO

Modify this old Landsat 7 Python based importer to work with OLI: http://opticks.org/confluence/x/NYJb

I’ve added an enhancement request to JIRA to get the issue implemented: https://issues.opticks.org/jira/browse/EXTRAS-274

Trevor R.H. Clarke