Mosaics

Jeffrey Angell

I have a question regarding the generation of Mosaics using OPTICKS. I’m generating Mosaic images from ortho-rectified images collected from a LIDAR system and noticing discontinuities between the various tiles.  Are there any tuning knobs that can be utilized to mitigate the visible seams and improve and color-balancing?

Re: Mosaics

Are you using the Geo->Mosaic functionality? If so, this does not create a single mosaic image but creates a separate layer for each image and calculates an offset based on the geographic corner coordinates of each layer. The offsetting is by integer pixel value so conversion from double to int (during geo to pixel conversion) can result in rounding errors, etc. which might explain the gaps. These offsets can be changed from Python or with a C++ plug-in. There is a tool called Flicker Controls which provides a gui to these offsets but the currently released version only works with properly named layers created with the Data Fusion plug-in. There’s an updated version of the Flicker Controls in the future development trunk which will work with the Geo Mosaic capability but you’d need to build this from source. Finally, since these are separate layers and not a single layer, they do independent histogram scaling. You can adjust this in the histogram window or the layer properties and you could manually adjust to try and match the colors but there is no automated capability to match histograms of multiple layers.

I have a question regarding the generation of Mosaics using OPTICKS. I’m generating Mosaic images from ortho-rectified images collected from a LIDAR system and noticing discontinuities between the various tiles.  Are there any tuning knobs that can be utilized to mitigate the visible seams and improve and color-balancing?

Re: Mosaics

Jeffrey Angell

Trevor:

                Yes, I’m using the Geo-Mosaic function. It sounds like plug-in modules are needed to do the bulk of the data massaging. But I’ll try working with the histogram window. Thanks for the info.

                Jeff