Opticks Image Processing Questions

jorgepsantos2002
Hi all,

My name is Jorge from Brazil and I spend lots of my time searching for a opensource image processing software. Since Landsat-5 last mission, I can use the free IRS-P6 imagery data (24 m spatial resolution, nice raster), So I needed a very powerful free app to manage my tests . I have a few questions about Opticks:

1 - Missing Spatial Reference: When a Export Opticks Raster Data via File - Export, the exported data does not have a valid Spatial Refence. Ok, I can fix it via GDAL. This issue will solve soon?

2 - The histogram color balance does not save in exported data. How I can to get Optick's Impressive Colors? Here's a example:

Nice Opticks Display Colors

FULL Resolution: http://goo.gl/ojqJz

3 - Opticks have Traditional Image Processing Tools like GDAL/ENVI Layer Stack, histogram Match, Moisaick with seamlines, RGB Color Composite? I don't figure out how to compose separate bands in Opticks.

Best Wishes (and really sorry about my poor english),

Jorge Santos
procdigital@gmail.com
http://www.processamentodigital.com.br/

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

1) What format are you exporting to? We export geo data in a number of
formats (such as GeoTIFF) if it's available.
2) File->Export saves the raw data, not displayed data. You can right
click on a view in the Session Explorer and export a snapshot of the
current view including the stretch. We don't save this with raw data
since it always maps data to 8-bit single channel or 8-bit per channel
RGB and often data is 16-bit or larger. The "snapshot" features saves
what you see.
3) You can use the Python or IDL extension or write a plug-in to perform
arbitrary layer stacking (there isn't a GUI tool for arbitrary stacks
right now). You can map multiple images to the color channels if they
are the same size (in pixels). In the Session Explorer, open up the +
for a view and right click on the raster layer (usually the lowest in
the layer stack) and select Properties. You can change displayed bands
here or if you are in RGB mode, you can change the raster element
associated with each color channel. There is no histogram matching right
now but you can histogram equalize. Mosiacing is sort of supported. Look
in the Geo toolbar under Mosaic. You can select multiple loaded datasets
(or files) and a new view will be created which does basic scale and
offset to align them geospatially. You will have multiple layers (one
for each input raster). If you want to flatten them to a since layer,
right click on the view and create a new AOI layer. Add a rectangle to
the AOI and in General Algorithms you'll see a Mosaic Chip tool which
will chip out that portion of the view and flatten it to a single
raster.

use the free  http://www.isro.org/satellites/irs-p6resourcesat-1.aspx
IRS-P6
imagery data (24 m spatial resolution, nice raster), So I needed a very
powerful free app to manage my tests . I have a few questions about
Opticks:

1 - Missing Spatial Reference: When a Export Opticks Raster Data via
*File -
Export*, the exported data does not have a valid Spatial Refence. Ok, I
can
fix it via GDAL. This issue will solve soon?

2 - The histogram color balance does not save in exported data. How I
can to
get Optick's Impressive Colors? Here's a example:

http://opticks-users.980204.n3.nabble.com/file/n3975173/OPTICKS_DISPLAY1
.png

FULL Resolution:  http://goo.gl/ojqJz http://goo.gl/ojqJz

3 - Opticks have Traditional Image Processing Tools like *GDAL/ENVI
Layer
Stack*, histogram Match, Moisaick with seamlines, RGB Color Composite? I
don't figure out how to compose separate bands in Opticks.

Best Wishes (and really sorry about my poor english),

Jorge Santos
[hidden email]
http://www.processamentodigital.com.br/

------
Live Security Virtual Conference
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

jorgepsantos2002
Hi tclarke!

tclarke wrote
1) What format are you exporting to? We export geo data in a number of
formats (such as GeoTIFF) if it's available.
The output format is GeoTIFF, Data Type = Byte (Unsigned Int 8 Bit), Cell Size = 24m, Spatial reference=WGS 1984 UTM Zone 21 S, but the projection of output file is missing:

Missing

tclarke wrote
2) File->Export saves the raw data, not displayed data. You can right
click on a view in the Session Explorer and export a snapshot of the
current view including the stretch. We don't save this with raw data
since it always maps data to 8-bit single channel or 8-bit per channel
RGB and often data is 16-bit or larger. The "snapshot" features saves
what you see.
So it's not possible to export histogram equalization on raw data in Opticks, right?

tclarke wrote
3) You can use the Python or IDL extension or write a plug-in to perform
arbitrary layer stacking (there isn't a GUI tool for arbitrary stacks
right now).
I see... Unfortunately  I don't have any programming skills to create these scripts. I will wait for the good samaritan shows up and perform this task!

Many thanks for your assistance,

Jorge Santos

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

jorgepsantos2002
Hello tclarcke,

Well, it seems that Opticks focus is the visualization of raster data. Ok, no more questions, but now we have two challenges:

01 Algorithm to apply stretch to new raster
01 Algorithm to generate a stack of bands

Thanks for all,

Jorge Santos

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

Actually, the focus is MASINT type processing...hyperspectral signature
matching, normalize difference indices, object extraction and tracking,
etc. and the visualization of those results.

As for the band stack, could you specify more precisely what you want to
do with the stack? Band stacking is a data model used to accomplish
various tasks, not really a task in itself. Since Opticks uses a
different type of data model, the stacking operation doesn't really
accomplish anything. Are you trying to create a 3-d cube from multiple
2-d band files? Are you attempting to draw a stack as multiple layers
with transparency? Are you looking to assign different bands to the RGB
color channels?

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

jorgepsantos2002
hi Clarke

tclarke wrote
Are you looking to assign different bands to the RGB
color channels?
yes. I want to compose 3 grayscale separated bands.

Raster band1 + Raster band2 + Raster band3

New Raster Display As

Raster band 1
Raster band 2
Raster Band 3

Ex: GDAL Layer Stack

INPUT RASTERS

LAYER STACK

RESULT (one RGB raster)

That's it.

Jorge Santos

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

Did you try the Geo/Mosaic tool in Opticks? It will create a separate
layer for each input raster and will scale+offset to align them
geographically. They must all be in the same projection or you will see
misalignments.

> Are you looking to assign different bands to the RGB
> color channels?

yes. I want to compose 3 grayscale separated bands.*

Raster band1 + Raster band2 + Raster band3

New Raster Display As

Raster band 1
Raster band 2
Raster Band 3

*Ex: GDAL Layer Stack*

*INPUT RASTERS*

http://opticks-users.980204.n3.nabble.com/file/n3977348/qgis_raster_calc
ulator_05a.png

*LAYER STACK*

http://opticks-users.980204.n3.nabble.com/file/n3977348/qgis_raster_calc
ulator_07.png

*RESULT (one RGB raster)*

http://opticks-users.980204.n3.nabble.com/file/n3977348/qgis_raster_calc
ulator_09a.png

That's it.

Jorge Santos

------
Live Security Virtual Conference
threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
Discussions
will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

jorgepsantos2002
Yes Clarke, I use Optick's Mosaic tool to generate a 3-band image, but the exported 3-band raster does not shows as RGB: Grayscale again.

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

FloRhy
tclarke wrote
Actually, the focus is MASINT type processing...hyperspectral signature
matching, normalize difference indices, object extraction and tracking,
etc. and the visualization of those results.

As for the band stack, could you specify more precisely what you want to
do with the stack? Band stacking is a data model used to accomplish
various tasks, not really a task in itself. Since Opticks uses a
different type of data model, the stacking operation doesn't really
accomplish anything. Are you trying to create a 3-d cube from multiple
2-d band files? Are you attempting to draw a stack as multiple layers
with transparency? Are you looking to assign different bands to the RGB
color channels?
Hi everyone and Clarcke,

new to Opticks, but exp in ENVI. Main application land use change classification. Usually perform layerstacking and run supervised classifications like SVM via AOIs. Possible to implement with Opticks?
Layerstacking seems very useful for supervised classifications as the classifier is trained automatically with spectral signatures of all bands included for the specific class - and if change something I dont have to redefine the bands to be included, but simply take the same layerstack over and over again.

Are there supervised classifiers in Opticks? Would love a SVM, but for start a MaxLike would do.

Reason for my venture here is that I have to give a course to peoplein developing country who need to work something like ENVI but cant afford the license.

Thanks for the good open source software and the support. keep it up!
Florian

Re: Opticks Image Processing Questions

There are some basic classification algorithms in the spectral extension.  http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticksExt/Spectral+Processing

Trevor R.H. Clarke