Re: Opticks Evaluation and Support

I’m going to CC our user mailing list with this reply. This is a preferable method of contact since individual core developers are not always available for immediate response and the mailing lists reach a wider audience. You’ll find info on joining and emailing the lists here: http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Mailing+Lists

As for your question, NITF is an extremely broad standard and I’m not aware of any readers/viewers which support the entire standard. If you can provide a little more information on the subset that you need to utilize we can better answer questions about unsupported files.

The file you are trying to load in the screen shot is a 12-bit JPEG compressed file. Since the focus of Opticks has been more on algorithmically exploitable masint type imagery (hyperspectral, multispectral, sar, etc.) there’s not generally a lot of support for the more map/imagery oriented flavors of NITF (like lossey JPEG compression). In this case, I think opticks will load some JPEG compressed NITF just not the 12-bit type since the underlying JPEG support library is a standard build of libjpeg.

----------------------

Trevor R.H. Clarke

Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

(937)320-7087

Re: Opticks Evaluation and Support

amedeo602@hotmail.com
You can also try manually selecting the gdal importer. It loads several files types the standard nitf importer cannot handle. If memory serves correctly JPEG compressed files are supported by gdal.

As for nitf, as Trevor mentioned, the standard is very generic. As a general rule, opticks is very good at handling the uncompressed types of nitf images and not as strong as the compressed types (with the exception of JPEG 2000 and I believe VQ).

Hope this helps,
Dustan

On Jun 22, 2015, at 1:34 PM, Clarke, Trevor <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brad Hards
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 05:33:47 PM Clarke, Trevor wrote:
> The file you are trying to load in the screen shot is a 12-bit JPEG
> compressed file. Since the focus of Opticks has been more on
> algorithmically exploitable masint type imagery (hyperspectral,
> multispectral, sar, etc.) there's not generally a lot of support for the
> more map/imagery oriented flavors of NITF (like lossey JPEG compression).
> In this case, I think opticks will load some JPEG compressed NITF just not
> the 12-bit type since the underlying JPEG support library is a standard
> build of libjpeg.
There is support for up-to- 12 bit images (and some uncompressed stuff too) in
libjpeg as of version 9a (according to http://www.infai.org/jpeg). I haven't
actually tried it yet though.

IIRC, NITF JPEG is a bit "special" in some places (not just standard JFIF).

If you have real (production or development) 12 bit JPEG encoded NITF images,
any chance you can make them available for test?

Brad

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 06:51:43 AM Brad Hards wrote:
> There is support for up-to- 12 bit images (and some uncompressed stuff too)
> in libjpeg as of version 9a (according to http://www.infai.org/jpeg). I
> haven't actually tried it yet though.
I took a closer look. That "up-to" part is a compile time option, so it might
be interesting as an experiment but won't solve the problem.

Brad