display band and floating point pixel values

display band and floating point pixel values

Agustin Lobo
Hi!

I'm just starting with opticks for exploring hyperspectral imagery and have few
simple questions that I've not been able to figure out on my own:

1. My image is floating point (envi format) but the pixel values
displayed at the bottom left
corner are integers.
2. is it possible to check the exact x,y values of a given point in
the spectral plot?
3. How do I select the band to be displayed in greyscale view? What
I'm doing is making an animation and then using the animation tool and
the arrows (which is nice) but probably
there is an easier way to do it.
4. Your web page states that there is "limited support" for linux (I'm
using linuxmint 15 which is based on ubuntu Raring 13.04 ), what does
this mean exactly? which features are not supported?

Thanks

Agus

Re: display band and floating point pixel values

Goffena, Robert
2.  See if you can 1) right click and activate Toolbars->Mouse Mode.  2)
Click the Locate Point button (looks like pencil).  Now 3) press left
mouse button and drag, while paying attention to right and top of plot.
If this works the x-y values for the mouse cursor will be displayed.
This works for many plots in Opticks, not definite about Spectral plot.

3.  There should be a shortcut key for this.  Select Tools->Options.
Expand General->Keyboard Shortcuts->View->Spatial Data->Set Gray Band
(default value is X).
You should be use shortcut key by 1) activate view by clicking in view,
then 2) type band number you want, then 3) type shortcut key.

Robert Goffena
Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
2875 Presidential Dr. Fairborn, OH 45324-6269
Phone:  (937) 320-4096
Fax:  (937) 429-1687
[...]

------
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://pubads.g.doubleclick.n
et/gampad/clk?id%3D51271111%26iu%3D/4140/ostg.clktrk&k=1GMYaKjmAz8SrwAdn
Q9klA%3D%3D%0A&r=zdsODwDBNjUHRtfHE2Bx%2F%2F11tWL2iewQNsWrLNjNjwA%3D%0A&m
=gCSdQOsl5zPTENgQjrR2M00pQNGGVOenjoM5WGjjmd4%3D%0A&s=a05086e4d68455a7b5e
3924acbd4300cdd67936c276eb4b2f8065948edb751fc
DBNjUHRtfHE2Bx%2F%2F11tWL2iewQNsWrLNjNjwA%3D%0A&m=gCSdQOsl5zPTENgQjrR2M0
0pQNGGVOenjoM5WGjjmd4%3D%0A&s=7b559ca41f615bc9c0d6a561c7a3dbeea65acf2b75
a367cf70e4b7d58a546f59

Re: display band and floating point pixel values

Agustin Lobo
Robert,

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Goffena, Robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2.  See if you can 1) right click and activate Toolbars->Mouse Mode.  2)
> Click the Locate Point button (looks like pencil).  Now 3) press left
> mouse button and drag, while paying attention to right and top of plot.
> If this works the x-y values for the mouse cursor will be displayed.
> This works for many plots in Opticks, not definite about Spectral plot.

I get a vertical line indicating the position of the band in the plot
and the band number on top of the vertical line, but not the y value.
I've tried with the signature window both docked and undocked. I also
get displayed the selected band, which is very good.

> 3.  There should be a shortcut key for this.  Select Tools->Options.
> Expand General->Keyboard Shortcuts->View->Spatial Data->Set Gray Band
> (default value is X).
> You should be use shortcut key by 1) activate view by clicking in view,
> then 2) type band number you want, then 3) type shortcut key.

Thanks, this is nice!

Agus

> Robert Goffena
> Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
> 2875 Presidential Dr. Fairborn, OH 45324-6269
> Phone:  (937) 320-4096
> Fax:  (937) 429-1687

4) We don't perform extensive testing on Linux. Perhaps a better term is
community supported. We plan to change this starting with the next
release (we are replacing Solaris with Linux). The officially supported
Linux platform will likely be Redhat (RHEL6). We do have a Mint 13
system we build on as well so the .deb on the website should work fine
on that system.

----------------------
Trevor R.H. Clarke
Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace
(937)320-7087

Sulgrove, David
1) The integer values you are seeing are probably the pixel coordinate
values within the raster layer.  If the raster data is floating point,
the floating point raster values are displayed in the status bar as you
move the mouse over the raster layer.  They are displayed in the format
"Raster (<layer name>): Gray - 0.0" for grayscale display more and
"Raster (<layer name>): R,G,B - 0.0, 0.0, 0.0" for RGB display mode.
You can verify the raster value for a pixel by zooming in far enough on
the raster layer, and the raster values are displayed over each pixel.

- David

4) We don't perform extensive testing on Linux. Perhaps a better term is
community supported. We plan to change this starting with the next
release (we are replacing Solaris with Linux). The officially supported
Linux platform will likely be Redhat (RHEL6). We do have a Mint 13
system we build on as well so the .deb on the website should work fine
on that system.

----------------------
Trevor R.H. Clarke
Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace
(937)320-7087

1,500+ hours of tutorials including VisualStudio 2012, Windows 8,
SharePoint
2013, SQL 2012, MVC 4, more. BEST VALUE: New Multi-Library Power Pack
includes
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://pubads.g.doubleclick.n
et/gampad/clk?id%3D58041151%26iu%3D/4140/ostg.clktrk&k=1GMYaKjmAz8SrwAdn
Q9klA%3D%3D%0A&r=%2FOUdoTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=G
IvUB8oKy50vb%2Fxhe1pG%2Bka8i9DlqZTFjtsF3wWuk38%3D%0A&s=27bbcd74c3e3678c8
1a0c6730588dc648d958c3aa1599c5de7171b8251f01c4a
oTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=GIvUB8oKy50vb%2Fxhe1pG%2
Bka8i9DlqZTFjtsF3wWuk38%3D%0A&s=c073df5a5221587068666ecd4b4d3eb5adec9b8a
9c9fe00218669dfb1470cade

Re: display band and floating point pixel values

Sulgrove, David
In the Signature Window capability in the Spectral extension, there is
no method for viewing the exact y-value of a signature plot.  However,
you can zoom in on the plot (the Zoom mouse mode) and display horizontal
gridlines (on the Gridlines submenu on the context menu) such that there
is greater resolution on the y-axis in which to see the values.  You
also have the option in the Signature Window of saving a signature to a
text file (with the Spectral Signature Exporter), which will create a
file containing the exact x-values and y-values.

- David

wrote:
> 2.  See if you can 1) right click and activate Toolbars->Mouse Mode.
2)
> Click the Locate Point button (looks like pencil).  Now 3) press left
> mouse button and drag, while paying attention to right and top of
plot.
> If this works the x-y values for the mouse cursor will be displayed.
> This works for many plots in Opticks, not definite about Spectral
plot.

I get a vertical line indicating the position of the band in the plot
and the band number on top of the vertical line, but not the y value.
I've tried with the signature window both docked and undocked. I also
get displayed the selected band, which is very good.

> 3.  There should be a shortcut key for this.  Select Tools->Options.
> Expand General->Keyboard Shortcuts->View->Spatial Data->Set Gray Band
> (default value is X).
> You should be use shortcut key by 1) activate view by clicking in
view,
> then 2) type band number you want, then 3) type shortcut key.

Thanks, this is nice!

Agus

> Robert Goffena
> Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.
> 2875 Presidential Dr. Fairborn, OH 45324-6269
> Phone:  (937) 320-4096
> Fax:  (937) 429-1687

Q9klA%3D%3D%0A&r=%2FOUdoTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=O
6QoLia2LIzbc5E3LDOQ9%2BoPdpXIFV28%2FeTp%2BpuFCSY%3D%0A&s=f35a9c5602110d4
85f441e4dce6fe377b4bad09dedd4a18a654987a429c96e4a
oTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=O6QoLia2LIzbc5E3LDOQ9%2B
oPdpXIFV28%2FeTp%2BpuFCSY%3D%0A&s=d75f5be22319cc5b05ce04a2d417ff240afa8c
e883d663b475629b18f747d368

------
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://pubads.g.doubleclick.n
et/gampad/clk?id%3D51271111%26iu%3D/4140/ostg.clktrk&k=1GMYaKjmAz8SrwAdn
Q9klA%3D%3D%0A&r=%2FOUdoTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=O
6QoLia2LIzbc5E3LDOQ9%2BoPdpXIFV28%2FeTp%2BpuFCSY%3D%0A&s=f35a9c5602110d4
85f441e4dce6fe377b4bad09dedd4a18a654987a429c96e4a
oTsleH7Z6N6IX1hzoWIMZ9wf8e0uEWmAz8tV1os%3D%0A&m=O6QoLia2LIzbc5E3LDOQ9%2B
oPdpXIFV28%2FeTp%2BpuFCSY%3D%0A&s=d75f5be22319cc5b05ce04a2d417ff240afa8c
e883d663b475629b18f747d368

Re: display band and floating point pixel values

Agustin Lobo
Great news. Perhaps you could consider
full support for ubuntu or debian. Linuxmint in just
a more user-friendly version of ubuntu (or Debian in case of LMDE)
I could test on linuxmint 15 (based on current ubuntu raring 13.04)
before a general release if this is of any help.

Agus

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Clarke, Trevor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 4) We don't perform extensive testing on Linux. Perhaps a better term is
> community supported. We plan to change this starting with the next
> release (we are replacing Solaris with Linux). The officially supported
> Linux platform will likely be Redhat (RHEL6). We do have a Mint 13
> system we build on as well so the .deb on the website should work fine
> on that system.
>
> ----------------------
> Trevor R.H. Clarke
> Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace
> (937)320-7087

No problem with the floating point values: I made a mistake and the
image was actually 16bit integer.
Sorry for the noise.
Agus

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Sulgrove, David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1) The integer values you are seeing are probably the pixel coordinate
> values within the raster layer.  If the raster data is floating point,
> the floating point raster values are displayed in the status bar as you
> move the mouse over the raster layer.  They are displayed in the format
> "Raster (<layer name>): Gray - 0.0" for grayscale display more and
> "Raster (<layer name>): R,G,B - 0.0, 0.0, 0.0" for RGB display mode.
> You can verify the raster value for a pixel by zooming in far enough on
> the raster layer, and the raster values are displayed over each pixel.
>
> - David

David,
Perhaps you could consider including the interactive display of y
values in a future release.
While we can always save the profile for detailed inspection with
another software, checking
y values is important in the context of exploratory tasks, thus saving
every time is not really
feasible.
Thanks

Agus

Feel free to put an enhancement request into our issue tracker (https://issues.opticks.org) and we'll evaluate it for possible inclusion in a future release. If you know C++ you can also submit a patch for evaluation.

Perhaps you could consider including the interactive display of y
values in a future release.
While we can always save the profile for detailed inspection with
another software, checking
y values is important in the context of exploratory tasks, thus saving
every time is not really
feasible.
Thanks

Agus

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Sulgrove, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the Signature Window capability in the Spectral extension, there is
> no method for viewing the exact y-value of a signature plot.  However,
> you can zoom in on the plot (the Zoom mouse mode) and display horizontal
> gridlines (on the Gridlines submenu on the context menu) such that there
> is greater resolution on the y-axis in which to see the values.  You
> also have the option in the Signature Window of saving a signature to a
> text file (with the Spectral Signature Exporter), which will create a
> file containing the exact x-values and y-values.
>
> - David

Unfortunately our "full support" status requires extensive testing, etc. from our paid test team so our paying customers drive the decision as to which platforms are in that category vs community support and our customers primarily use RHEL (with some Suse). We do welcome community testers however. If you'd be willing to test the changes that go into a release we'd love to make this information available for users. We do plan to at least perform builds and run automated unit tests on a debian system. I've also thought about building an LSB compliant build instead so it would be easier to use on all three major distro branches but I haven't had much time to look into this yet.