import problem

Max P. Bleiweiss
Greetings,

When attempting to import data, the import dialogue will only "look in"
very few places; primarily, on the c-drive and i am unable to change to
another drive.  So, is this a feature of Opticks or am i doing something
wrong.

Thank you for your help,

Max

Max P. Bleiweiss
Agricultural Research Scientist      voice:  +1 575.646.1367
New Mexico State University           fax:    +1 575.646.8087
Department of Entomology,      e-mail:  [hidden email]
   Plant Pathology and Weed Science
PO Box 30003, MSC 3BE
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA 88003-8003

Re: import problem

Goffena, Robert
Did you click the combobox to the right of the 'Look in' label?  When I
do that I see an item for 'My Computer' and selecting 'My Computer'
lists my drives.

The right hand pane (below the label and combobox) is not a file
browser, but a favorites browser.  You drag and drop directories from
the right hand pane to the left hand 'Favorites' pane/browser.

Not sure if that helps,

Bob

Re: import problem

Max P. Bleiweiss
Thanks for the response; however, I am not sure what you mean by
"combobox".  Anyway, when I click on the "down arrow" I see displayed
several options; all of which are on the c-drive with the exception of a
couple of listings of "my computer" -- when I click on those, nothing
happens...

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Goffena, Robert wrote:

> Did you click the combobox to the right of the 'Look in' label?  When I
> do that I see an item for 'My Computer' and selecting 'My Computer'
> lists my drives.
>
> The right hand pane (below the label and combobox) is not a file
> browser, but a favorites browser.  You drag and drop directories from
> the right hand pane to the left hand 'Favorites' pane/browser.
>
> Not sure if that helps,
>
> Bob

Re: import problem

Tobe, John
Not sure why your drives aren't showing up. Selecting "my computer"
worked for me the last time I tried it.  It's cumbersome to get to and
that's one of the things about Opticks that annoys me.  Fortunately you
can bypass the import dialog for most things by dragging and dropping
files onto the Opticks window.  If you need the options dialog to come
up you can right-click and drag items onto Opticks.

Thanks for the response; however, I am not sure what you mean by
"combobox".  Anyway, when I click on the "down arrow" I see displayed
several options; all of which are on the c-drive with the exception of a

couple of listings of "my computer" -- when I click on those, nothing
happens...

Max P. Bleiweiss
Agricultural Research Scientist      voice:  +1 575.646.1367
New Mexico State University           fax:    +1 575.646.8087
Department of Entomology,      e-mail:  [hidden email]
   Plant Pathology and Weed Science
PO Box 30003, MSC 3BE
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA 88003-8003

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Goffena, Robert wrote:

> Did you click the combobox to the right of the 'Look in' label?  When

> do that I see an item for 'My Computer' and selecting 'My Computer'
> lists my drives.
>
> The right hand pane (below the label and combobox) is not a file
> browser, but a favorites browser.  You drag and drop directories from
> the right hand pane to the left hand 'Favorites' pane/browser.
>
> Not sure if that helps,
>
> Bob

Hi again,

Sorry to be so much trouble; however, I do not seem to be able to "drag"
or copy and paste to Opticks.  When I open Opticks (4.10.0 Build 17243), I
get the top of the gui with several tools, etc and in the lower left, the
session explorer and in the lower right a large panel that is empty -- I
tried to put a file in that empty panel to no avail.

Thanks,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Tobe, John wrote:

> Not sure why your drives aren't showing up. Selecting "my computer"
> worked for me the last time I tried it.  It's cumbersome to get to and
> that's one of the things about Opticks that annoys me.  Fortunately you
> can bypass the import dialog for most things by dragging and dropping
> files onto the Opticks window.  If you need the options dialog to come
> up you can right-click and drag items onto Opticks.

Did a dialog popup with any error/warning messages?

Have you tried loading data from the sample data page:
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Sample+Data

If possible, you may want to try chatting about this via IRC, later
today (9am-5pm eastern standard time).

Bob

Sorry to be so much trouble; however, I do not seem to be able to "drag"

or copy and paste to Opticks.  When I open Opticks (4.10.0 Build 17243),
get the top of the gui with several tools, etc and in the lower left,
the
session explorer and in the lower right a large panel that is empty -- I

tried to put a file in that empty panel to no avail.

Thanks,

Max

Max P. Bleiweiss
Agricultural Research Scientist      voice:  +1 575.646.1367
New Mexico State University           fax:    +1 575.646.8087
Department of Entomology,      e-mail:  [hidden email]
   Plant Pathology and Weed Science
PO Box 30003, MSC 3BE
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA 88003-8003

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Tobe, John wrote:

> Not sure why your drives aren't showing up. Selecting "my computer"
> worked for me the last time I tried it.  It's cumbersome to get to and
> that's one of the things about Opticks that annoys me.  Fortunately
you

> can bypass the import dialog for most things by dragging and dropping
> files onto the Opticks window.  If you need the options dialog to come
> up you can right-click and drag items onto Opticks.

Good morning,

I am at the IRC, I think...

http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticksChat/Chat+Client

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Goffena, Robert wrote:

> Did a dialog popup with any error/warning messages?
>
> Have you tried loading data from the sample data page:
> http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Sample+Data
>
> If possible, you may want to try chatting about this via IRC, later
> today (9am-5pm eastern standard time).
>
> Bob

Max,

You were there.  You missed one of the core developers by about a
minute.
If you log back onto IRC channel, and wait a while (possibly an hour,
usually 5-10 minutes), you will likely get help.

Bob

Agricultural Research Scientist      voice:  +1 575.646.1367
New Mexico State University           fax:    +1 575.646.8087
Department of Entomology,      e-mail:  [hidden email]
   Plant Pathology and Weed Science
PO Box 30003, MSC 3BE
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA 88003-8003

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Goffena, Robert wrote:

> Did a dialog popup with any error/warning messages?
>
> Have you tried loading data from the sample data page:
> http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Sample+Data
>
> If possible, you may want to try chatting about this via IRC, later
> today (9am-5pm eastern standard time).
>
> Bob

Sulgrove, David
Max,

Sorry I missed you in IRC.  I was catching up on the emails.  It sounds
like there is perhaps a file permissions issue that is preventing you
from seeing the files.  I would suggest creating a new directory outside
of "Program Files" where you can copy your data files.  Since you
created the new directory, you should have full permissions to view and
read the files.  If your data files do not appear in the new directory,
I suggest downloading some of the sample files on the Opticks website
(http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Sample+Data) and see if
they appear in the Import dialog.

Hope that helps,
David

Agricultural Research Scientist      voice:  +1 575.646.1367
New Mexico State University           fax:    +1 575.646.8087
Department of Entomology,      e-mail:  [hidden email]
   Plant Pathology and Weed Science
PO Box 30003, MSC 3BE
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA 88003-8003

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Goffena, Robert wrote:

> Did a dialog popup with any error/warning messages?
>
> Have you tried loading data from the sample data page:
> http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Sample+Data
>
> If possible, you may want to try chatting about this via IRC, later
> today (9am-5pm eastern standard time).
>
> Bob

dadkins
All,

The OP and I took this discussion off list and found that this only
happened on a particular machine.
We are still not sure why (perhaps a permissions issue?).
His machine is Windows XP 32-bit, and I have confirmed that this is NOT
an issue on that platform by testing it on another 32-bit XP box.
The workaround was to copy/paste the full name and path of the file into
the Import Dialog.

As for drag-and-drop not displaying anything, I entered a bug in our
database [1] to resolve this issue.
This was a result of using the generic hdf5 importer and not manually
selecting which datasets to load.

Thanks,
Dustan

[1] https://issues.opticks.org/jira/browse/OPTICKS-1495